Code of Conduct
The Quick Version
Our events and online spaces are dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender and gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion (or lack thereof). We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is never appropriate. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled at the discretion of the organizers.
No weapons of any kind, or drugs are allowed at Write/Speak/Code.
The Less Quick Version
Write/Speak/Code is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. This code of conduct applies to all Write/Speak/Code spaces both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the Write/Speak/Code.
Some Write/Speak/Code spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person's lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of 'dead' or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they're not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like "hug" or "backrub") without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate "outing" of any aspect of a person's identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
Write/Speak/Code prioritizes marginalized people's safety over privileged people's comfort and therefore we will not act on complaints regarding:
- 'Reverse' -isms, including 'reverse racism,' 'reverse sexism,' and 'cisphobia'.
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone," "go away," or "I'm not discussing this with you".
- Communicating in a 'tone' you don't find congenial.
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
Organizers can be contacted by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact information for specific organizers will be provided to all registrants of the conference. If the matter is especially urgent, please call the organizers provided.